Be open. Be open to trying new things.
That sentence makes me chuckle inside because I don’t think I would consider myself particularly adventurous and open to new things anymore, so my suggesting to you that you should be open to new experiences seems a bit ridiculous. But I know it’s correct; I tell it to you because I need to tell it to me.
For me if my regular lunch table is already full and I have to sit somewhere else with new people I can get a little twitchy and off my game. I guess I like routine maybe a little too much. I don’t go out. I don’t dress up anymore. I don’t travel much. So maybe I’m in a rut.
I have a million excuses for why I don’t do any of these things anymore, but no more excuses. For one day I can be open.
- I will be open to new ideas
- I will be open to listening to different opinions and crazy ideas (like eating out…gasp)
- I will be open to trying something new
- I will be open to accepting help
- I will be open to trusting others
- I will be open to the idea that I matter
- I will be open to not knowing what my next step will be
- I will be open to new friends
- I will be open to new places
- I will be open to new ways of thinking
- I will be open to a little discomfort in order to better explore the world around me
It has been a long time since I’ve opened myself up to others because being closed off feels safer and more comfortable. It’s spring so I should be opening the doors and windows inside of me and outside of me and let the fresh new breezes blow through. And if you’re listening Breeze, feel free to take all the dog hair and dust with you, thanks.
Grab a pencil and paper and start to make a list of phrases that start with, “I will be open to…” and just keep going until you stop. I was amazed at some of the things that came through me onto my list, and I feel better now because I am also open to learning new things about myself.